Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Needle Delights & NEW SHOP ALERT - Threads Needlwork (East Petersburg, PA)

Featured Designer


How long have you been a stitcher and how did you first learn about stitching?
I learned to knit and crochet at 5, embroidery at 10, and cross stitch at 14.  I learned to needlepoint when I started working in a needlework shop.

When did you begin designing your own patterns and how did that turn into a business?
I started with small ornaments for class instructions and then did a larger geometric after my students encouraged me to create a "Mystery Project" for them.  It snowballed from there!
What are a few of your favorite themes when designing a pattern?
Geometrics & Color.

How important is social media in the cross-stitch industry and how do you make use of it for your company?
The power of the internet, facebook and blogs is immeasurable.  Mant stitchers are influenced by what they see on websites, blogs, and online groups.  I have a website www.needledelights.com , a blog www.needledelightsoriginals.blogspot.com  and am a member of a Facebook Needlepoint Group. 

Have you ever exhibited at or attended a TNNA trade show, and if so what are your thoughts on it?
Summer Logs
I have exhibited at the Nashville and Fall shows.  I appreciate the shopowners who attend and think they probably have the best shops in the industry.

What is your personal favorite design in your line?
My favorite always seems to be my most recent finish and right now it's "Summer Logs".  It has been well received and has been flying out the door!

A Bit About Kathy


Besides stitching and designing, what are a few things you enjoy in your free time?
Quilting, travel, reading, movies, beach, watching sports, and spending time with family & friends.

What’s your favorite holiday and why?
Thanksgiving - I was born on Thanksgiving Day!

What kind of music do you like to listen to?
A little of everything, except classical!

Would you like to share a favorite recipe?
I don't cook much (I'd rather stitch!)....here's a great recipe for the crockpot!

Taco Soup

2 lbs ground beef (or turkey)
1 onion, chopped
2 pkg Ranch Dressing (dry)
2 pkg Taco seasoning mix
1 16 oz can black beans undrained
1 16 oz can dark red kidney beans undrained
1 16 oz can pinto beans undrained
1 16 oz can navy beans undrained
1 16 oz can Rotel tomatoes
1 16 oz can diced tomatoes
1 can corn drained
2 cans chicken broth (or 1 can plus 1 can water)

Brown mean and onion, drain. Put in a large crockpot and add the rest of the ingredients and stir. Leave the crockpot on high until the soup starts to boil, then turn to low. I usually leave it on low for 4-6 hours.

Garnish with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, and/or green onions – if desired.

You can really adjust the ingredients to your taste – use whatever type canned beans you prefer, any kind of can tomatoes will do, and you can adjust the “heat” by using Mild or Spicy Taco Seasoning mix and Rotel tomatoes.

Freezes well!

What is your favorite meal?
Mexican Food or Pizza!

Do you have any pets?
Boots & Samantha, my two cats!

What changes would you make if you could go back in time?
I wouldn't make any changes as everything had led me to this time in my life, which is very good!

What would you do if you won the lottery?
Get rid of everything and start traveling around the world!

If you could be an animal, which would you pick and why?
One of my cats - they have a great life! 

None of us are perfect – tell us about something that embarrassed you.
I once walked in on the chairman of the board of the company I worked for in the bathroom - he'd left the door unlocked.  It doesn't seem so bad now but at the stime, it was pretty awkward.


Featured Shop

THREADS NEEDLEWORK
2019 C. Miller Rd.
East Petersburg, PA 17520
717-917-8871



Patti Chambers, owner

How long have you been in business? 
My shop has been open for 4 ½ months!  We offer counted cross stitch, hardanger and punch needle embroidery patterns and supplies.  We carry threads from DMC, Weeks Dye Works, Crescent Colours, Gentle Art and Rainbow Gallery. We have Zweigart, Weeks Dye Works and Picture This Plus fabrics.  We offer patterns from seemingly countless designers! The patterns range from the old standbys to complicated European designs and more contemporary patterns.

How long have you been a stitcher and how did you first learn about stitching?
I have been stitching since I was about 10 years old.  I started with needlepoint, then started embroidering my jeans. I found a Thea Governeur cross stitch kit at a needlepoint store in the seventies and got hooked on counted cross stitch!

How do you compare the products that are available in today's market compared to 10 years ago?
I am impressed with the changes in products over the years.  So many patterns in so many styles are now available.  There are so many fabric choices.  The color choices, especially of overdyed fabric, are amazing!  There are so many new threads, too.  The variegated overdyed threads give a unique effect.

Where do you see your company in 5 years?
I will hopefully have a larger shop in 5 years. I would like to include a fiber arts gallery.  I’m also thinking of having a satellite store at some point. I would like to have a shop large enough to carry needlepoint supplies in addition to what I already carry.

Besides stitching and running your business, what are a few things you enjoy in your free time?
Aside from stitching and running my business, I enjoy home decorating, running and hiking, especially on the Appalachian Trail.

What are your three greatest achievements?
My three greatest achievements are raising a wonderful family, becoming a physician and opening Threads Needlework which supports my passion…
I hope my next achievement can be finishing an 18 page Heaven and Earth Designs cross stitch project!

Would you share a little about your family?
My family includes a wonderful husband of 30 years.  We have a 22 year-old daughter who graduated from college last spring. Our son is 20 years old and just moved to New York City to continue his education. We also have a 12 year-old daughter who just entered the seventh grade. We have a dog and 3 cats.

What is your favorite holday and why?
My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving. It’s so nice to spend a low- key holiday with family where nothing (but food) is expected of me. I can sit and stitch!
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment